Mondays are for rainbows! With this Kaleideum At Home project, you can make your own Rainbow Paper with a few household materials.
- Colored construction paper/cardstock
- Nail polish
- Using scissors, cut the construction paper/cardstock into strips about 1 inch wide and 3-4 inches long. Keep these paper strips on hand because you’ll need to move quickly for this project to work!
- Fill a bowl with water and prepare a space to lay your wet paper strips (paper towels or a plate work fine).
- Open the nail polish bottle and let 1-2 drops of nail polish fall into the water from the brush or bottle, but don’t touch the brush to the water! This might take some patience waiting for it to drop but if the brush gets wet, the project won’t work.
- You’ll notice the nail polish creates a film on the surface of the water, so grab a strip of paper and carefully dip one end into the water and pull it straight out. The nail polish film will cling to your paper and create a rainbow effect! Set aside to dry.
- Note: Clear nail polish and dark colored paper often make the best rainbow effect, but this project can be done with white paper and any color of nail polish (the rainbow is just not always as noticeable with colored polish). Experiment a few times with dripping the nail polish and dipping the paper to create your perfect method for rainbows!