In 1962, four women, on behalf of the Junior League of Winston-Salem, introduced an idea for a new nature sciences center that would become a permanent part of the educational and recreational landscape for Winston-Salem. On December 12, 1964, the Nature Science Center — today’s SciWorks — officially opened its doors, allowing generations of Piedmont Triad residents and visitors to experience the spark of scientific inquiry through informal, hands-on, experiential learning.
SciWorks is celebrating this 50th Anniversary milestone and the holiday season at Festive Family Friday from 4 p.m. to 8:30 pm on December 12, 2014. Admission is $1 per person (free for Members), and there will be live holiday music, holiday crafts, Christmas planetarium laser shows and interesting guests … including a couple of “frozen” princesses and Santa himself!
As a special anniversary offering during Festive Family Friday, there will be a BOGO — Buy One, Get One 50% Off — on Family Memberships. Visitors on-site at the museum during the event can buy or renew a Family Membership and purchase a second Family Membership for 50 percent off to give as a gift or donate to a family in need. SciWorks is partnering with the Augustine Literacy Project to identify families with children who could benefit from the gift of a membership, which would allow them to improve their scientific literacy through hands-on exploration at the museum.
“Festive Family Friday’s dramatically reduced admission is one of the ways SciWorks gives back to the community,” says Paul Kortenaar, SciWorks’ Executive Director, “and our membership special is a way to bestow the gift of scientific exploration all year long for your loved ones or a family in need. We hope everyone will come out this year to enjoy the music and engage in everything from our Animal Zone to holiday crafts to exploring the MONEYVILLE exhibit — and visit with Santa while you’re here!”
Festive Family Friday highlights include:
- Visits with Santa in the SciWorks Auditorium. Lloyd Aaron Photography will be taking photographs of children and families with Santa, which will be available for purchase online. A portion of the sale of each photograph will be donated back to SciWorks.
- Holiday music from UNCSA Community Music School Faculty String Trio, Suzuki Guitar Ensemble and the Twin City Tuba Ensemble.
- An “Animal Zone” in the Lecture Hall. Visitors can enjoy live animal encounters, make an animal ornament and gather “magic” reindeer food for Rudolph’s big night! Visitors will also be able to “Adopt-an-Animal” or purchase Winter Day Camp vouchers as a holiday gift.
- Make holiday crafts in SciWorks’ Learning Labs.
- Relax in the Planetarium with the Mannheim Steamroller Holiday Laser Show.
- Meet roaming special guests including the Grinch, Elmo, Bolt from The Dash — and Frozen’s Elsa and Anna.
- Dine in at SciWorks that evening. Visitors can purchase dinner in the FoodWorks area from CiCi’s Pizza or Sonic. In addition, student organizations from Mt. Tabor High School and North Forsyth High School will be holding bake sales, so you can purchase some holiday treats!
- Enjoy an Anniversary cake square courtesy of Dewey’s Bakery (while supplies last).
- Do some holiday shopping — there will be a 20 percent discount in the SciShop that evening. Discount is valid on regularly priced merchandise totaling $10 or more.
- Membership BOGO! Buy or renew a Family Membership and get a second Family Membership for 50% off (regularly $95). The total cost of two memberships is $142.50.
Don’t miss all the Festive Fun on December 12, 4 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Visit www.sciworks.org or call (336) 767-6710 for more information.